Western Regional Flat Track
July 28th, 2001
Antelope Valley Fairgrounds
Rob Damron Family Benifit
1. 6j Joe Steffen (Yam); 2. 55 Tom Horton (Suz); 3. 29x Rich Trait (OSS): 4. 249v Al Weber (Bul).
1. 55 Tom Horton (Hon); 2. 7m Brad Spencer (Hon); 3. 32a Greg Wilburn (Hon).
4. 45e John Lundgren (Hon).
1. 55 Tom Horton (Tri); 2. 32a Greg Wilburn (Tri). 3. 50x Mel Stoner (Tri);
4. 58u Stu Cardott (Tri).
+ 35 VET
1. 7m Brad Spencer (Tri); 2. 55 Tom Horton (Hon); 3. 32a Greg Wilborn (Tri);
4. 6j Joe Steffen (Yam).
+ 50 SENIOR
1. 37r Ron Moore (Hon); 2. 58u Warren Adams (Tri); 3. 29x Rich Trait (OSS);
4. 50 Merlin Stoner (Tri).
+ 60 SUPER SENIOR
1. 29r Marshall Jennings (Hon); 2. 21v Jerry Salsman (Bul); 3. 86d Allen Girdler (H-D).
1. 7m Brad Spencer (Hon); 2. 55 Tom Horton (Yam); 3. 6j Joe Steffen (Yam);
4. 45e John Lundgren (Hon); 5. 32r Roger Bowerman (Yam).
NOVICE 250 SPORTSMAN
1. 57 Don Barmakian (Hon); 2. 45f Tom Sahli (Bul); 3. 209 Cliff Nagatani (Yam);
4. 30 John Linsey (Bul); 5. 56e Bret Taylar (Yam); 6. 249v Al Webber (Bul); 7. 66q Bruce Brown (Yam).
NOVICE 600 SPORTSMAN
1. 78w Cliff Edginton (Hon); 2. 52c Dave Cheney (Hon); 3. 44a Gary Swan (Tri);
4. 66q Bruce Brown (Yam).
NOVICE 750 SPORTSMAN
1. 52c Dave Cheney (Tri); 2. 57 Don Barmakian (Yam); 3. 56e Brett Taylor (Tri);
4. 97 Fred Bereger (Tri).
1. 21v Terry Salsman (Bul).
1. 55 Tom Horton (Mon); 2. 78w Clark Edginton (Tri).
1. 1 Andy Wood (Hon); 2. 6n Alex Wood (Hon); 3. 47 James Wood (Hon).
1. 73 Bradey Spencer (Yam); 2. 67 Alex Wood (Hon);
3. 45e John Lundgren (Kaw); 4. 319 Brad Rudy (Yam); 5. 45 Ian Foulds (Hon).
1. 71 Steve Fortune (Rtx); 2. 67 Alex Wood (Hon); 3. 620 Matt Ferrato (Yam);
4. 66 James Wood (Hon); 5. 45 Ian Foulds (Hon); 6. 37 Jeff Johnson (Hon).
1. 1 Andy Wood (Kaw); 2. 37 Jeff Johnson (Hon); 3. 66 James Wood (Hon);
4. 6j Joe Steffen (Yam); 5. 67 Alex Wood (Hon).
Chris Apple, Jeff Apple, and Steve Fortune
The Spencers and Brad Holt
Lancaster, CA July 28, 2001
Antelope Valley Fair grounds was the site of an AHRMA west regional
short track event benefiting the family of Rod Damron. Speedway promoter
and grader operator Brad Oxley, brought in his usual fine short track.
Jeff and Chris Apple spent a night and long day preparing the facility
for racing. The regular contingent of California AHRMA competitors that
ride multiple classes provided some very exciting racing.
Tom Horton tried a Suzuki Twin in the Sportsman 250 race, but was
not able to pass Joe Steffen's Yamaha. Steffen pull Horton off the line
in the Vet race, with Brad Spencer in third. Horton got by Steffen on
the second lap, and at mid race Spencer powered by Horton on the back
straight for the win. Horton went wire to wire over Spencer in the
Sportsman 600 event, with Greg Wilburn and John Lundgren in 3rd and 4th
spots in the all Honda class. Spencer holeshotted Horton for the 70's
Singles title, while Steffen and Lundgren argued over 3rd and 4th place
for the whole race. Greg Wilburn, back from his long work vacation in
Hawaii, blasted Horton off the line in the race for 750 Sportsman. The
two thundering Larry Wilburn built Triumphs eased out to a big lead.
Then Greg Wilburn bobbled, and Horton was gone.
The large field of 250 Novices watched Don Barmakian lead from the
green flag to the checker. Cliff Edginton passed half the Novice 600
class in one turn and rode off with the win on a Honda Twin. Old Dave
aced the restart of the Novice 750 show and held on over Barmakian for
the win. Ron Moore and Marshall Jennings trophied in the Senior and
Super Senior races.
Eddie Mulder 661 268-0
Labor Day - September 3rd