National Flat Track
April 30, 2005
Davis 89t(Tri) Auburn, CA;
2. George Wills 1(Ind) Manhattan,
3. Brian Haenlein 81(HD) Brethren, MI;
4. Terry Salsman 21v(Tri) Quartz Hill, CA; 5. Michael Oneil 37(Ind)
Horton 55(Suz) Lancaster, CA;
2. Todd Vaughn 91(HD) Monrovia, CA.
Mickey Alzola 49x(Tri) Acton, CA;
2. Mel Stoner 50m(Tri) Anaheim,
Roy Burris 64v(Yam) Needles, CA;
4. Ralph Porzelt 13r(Yam) Apple Valley;
5. Doug Douglas 92x(BSA) San Bernardino,
1. Joel Kath 19v(BSA) Upland,
Gary Davis 89t(BSA) Auburn,
George Wills 1(HD) Manhattan,
CA; 4. Lenny Rodriguez 4r(Tri) Palmdale, CA; 5. Joe Pape 75z(HD) Culver
Horton 55(Tri) Lancaster, CA;
2. Jim Monegon 1(Hon) Twisp, WA; 3. Rick Reed 59y(Tri) St. George UT;
4. Gary Davis
89t(Hon) Auburn, CA; 5.
26(Tri) Pinon Hills, CA; 6. Chris Hinkey 10r(Tri) Newcastle,
7. Wayne Warrington 44e(Tri) Corona,
CA; 8. Richard Harrington 40y(Yam) Felton, CA.
1. Joel Susbert 77(HD) Simi Valley,
2. Robert Hansen 26(Tri) Carson City,
Bill Kolkman 42(Hon) Ventura, CA;
2 John Lundgren 45e(Yan) Simi Valley,
CA; 3. James Ottele 58y(Yam) March AFB, CA;
4. Kayl Kolkman 45(Hon) Ventura, CA.
Tom Horton 55(Hon) Lancaster, CA; 2. Jim Monegon 1(Hon) Twisp, WA; 3.
89t(Hon) Auburn, CA;
McRoberts 33L(Hon) Harrietta, MI;
5. Keith Tennis 58n(Yam) Hesperia, CA.
Run What Ya
Run What Ya
1 Kayl Kolkman 45(Hon) Ventura,
2. Bill Kolkman 42(Hon) Ventura,
3. Ed Fatzinger 94a(Rtx) Manhattan Beach,
4. Jim Street
12y(Yam) Corona, CA;
5. James Ottele 58y(Yam) March AFB, CA; 6.
Lloyd McGreger 68x(Hon) Fontana,
Tom Horton 55(Tri) Lancaster, CA; 2. Robert Hansen 24(Tri)Carson
City, NV: 3. Joe
Hoogerhyde 85w(Tri) San Francisco,
CA; 4. Richard
Harrington 40y(Yam) Felton, CA.
1.Tom Horton 55(Suz) Lancaster, CA;
2 Brad Holt 50s(Bul) Ramona, CA; 3. Marc Lyuns 20(Yam) Chico,
4. Jim Street
12y(Hon) Corona, CA;
5. Giovanni Simi 77(Bul) Quartz Hill, CA.
Shaw 29(Yam) Hesperia, CA;
2. Clyde Adams 52c(Hon) Lancaster, CA; 3. Steve
2(Yam) Little Rock, CA;
4. Chris Hinkey 10r(Tri) Newcastle,
1. Tom Horton 55(CanAm) Lancaster, CA;
2 Brad Holt 50s(Bul) Ramona, CA; 3. John Lundgren 45e(Kaw) Simi
4. Jim Monegon 31m(CanAm) Twisp, WA.
1. Jeff Johnson 37(Tri) Fontana, CA;
2. Rick Reed 59y(Tri) St. George, UT;
3. Joe Hoogerhyde 85w(Tri) San Francisco,
4. Robert Hansen 24(Tri) Carson City, NV; 5. Warren Warrington 44e(Tri)
1. Jim Rosa 29(Yam) Hesperia, CA;
2. Ron Moore 37r(Yam) Yucaipa, CA: 3.Joe
6j(Yam) San Jacinto, CA;
4. Jim Monegon 1(Hon)
Twisp, WA; 5. James Ottele 58y(Yam) March
AFB, CA; 6. Michael ONeil 571(Yam) Bulleton, CA;
7. Jim Street
12y(Yam) Corona, CA;
8. Brad Rudy 19t(Yam) Signal Hill, CA; 9.
Keith Tennis 58n(Yam) Hesperia,
CA; 10. Jeff Johnson 35(Yam) Pinon Hills, CA; 11.
Joe Susbert 77(Yam) Simi Valley CA.
After heavy Thursday morning rains in the Antelope Valley, the outlook
AHRMA National Flat Track race at Willow Springs Raceway dirt oval, was
doubt. Saturday dawned cool, clear and windy, but steady work by John
brought in a track that was near perfection for the main events. A
1951 Triumph ridden by Gary Davis, was able to best George Wills riding
a Dodge Brothers 1947 Indian in
the Dinosaur brakeless class. Third was Brian Haenlein from Brethern,
traveled from Manhattan, IL
to defend his AHRMA National crowns in both the Dino and Classic
classes. In the Classic 500/750 race, Joel Kath, on a BSA Goldstar,
early leader, Gary Davis, also on a Goldie, for the win. George
Wills’s 1953 Harley flat head was third.
Mickey Alzola, defending Super
Champ, from Acton, CA,
prevailed over a persistent Mel Stoner in the race for riders over 60
age. Both Alzola and Stoner rode Triumphs. Hesperias Jim Rosa, beat a
field of TT Yamahas in the Seventies Singles race, the largest class of
night. AHRMA Nation Champ, Honda mounted Jim Monegon from Twisp,
WA, was regulated to forth behind
and Joe Steffen. Jeff Johnson again won the Triumph Challenge race that
to the memory of former Antelope
resident Jack Hately, who passed on last year.
But the night
belonged to local rider Tom Horton. Horton entered six classes and won
races against very formidable competition. Sportsman 600 action found
getting the holeshot but was passed by AHRMA National Champion, Jim
the forth lap. Horton dogged Monegon’s Honda until the white flag lap
powered under Monegon out of turn two and held on for the win.
Strokes are a relatively new AHRMA class for later 250cc race bikes and
Holts Bultaco Astro jumped into the lead over Jim Monegon and Horton,
Can Am powered machines. Horton got by Monegon on the second lap and on
six, Holt left a little opening out of turn four and Horton eased Holts
the banking in turn one for the pass and the win. John Lundgen was
forth on his
Kawasaki and Monegon forth.
A Suzuki twin was
Hortons preferred weapon for the Sportsman 250 class, and again Brad
provided the competition on another Bultaco. This race saw Marc Lyuns
lead and hold it till mid race when Horton, on the screaming twin, took
lead. Horton was followed closely by Holt for second and Lyuns for
The Senior event put Horton and Monegon on the same grid again, with
Honda leading into the first turn. Horton on a Honda, went into first
second lap and held on for the win. Rick Reed from St.
George, UT, got a
start, but worked his Triumph through the field for second place.
won the Classic 250 race on another Suzuki twin and the Sportsman 750’s
Triumph. He was entered in the Classic 500/750 race, but his Bultaco
sized in practice. All in all, a good nights work.
Kevin from British Motorbikes North Hollywood presents Jeff Johnson the
Jack Hately Triumph Challenge Cup.
Little John (track groomer) looks on!
Our starter, G